Friday, January 9, 2009

The talent of Anna Nalick

By Michael J.W. Stickings

I've long been a sucker for (er, fan of) female singer-songwriters -- Sarah McLachlan (whom I once met and in whose presence I was a blithering idiot), Shawn Colvin, Vienna Teng, Patty Griffin, Thea Gilmore, Sheryl Crow, Michelle Branch, Lisa Loeb, Dar Williams, Emm Gryner, Vanessa Carlton, Aimee Mann, Melanie Doane, Tara MacLean, Kim Richey, etc. -- and one of the better ones I've come across in the past few years is Anna Nalick (official site here), whose 2005 debut, Wreck of the Day, featuring the hit "Breathe (2 AM)," was stunningly mature, featuring great lyrics and a well-developed pop sound with a decided edge to it. (Her second album will hopefully come out this year -- an EP with the song "Shine" was released last year.) And, yes, it helps that she's extremely attractive. (I'm a guy -- what can I say?)

Here, below, are the video for "Breathe (2 AM)" and an acoustic performance of "Wreck of the Day." Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment